NEW! Pre-Conference Add-On
Thursday, February 14, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Ready for some personal teaching, coaching, and mentoring in a small group?
Want to take your writing or communications to the next level?
These hands on, personal seminars are new to West Coast Christian Writers, and are a very special add-on to the general conference. (Plus, since it’s Valentine’s Day, we’ll have a few special little heart-shaped surprises for you!)
Limited to 8 participants each. First-come, first-served, so register right away!
If the Mini-Mastermind you want is sold out, ask to be added to the waiting list. Email email us at email@example.com
The registration fee for the Mini Masterminds ONLY is $139 (lunch is no-host at a nearby eatery). Click here to register.
Your Author Platform’s Secret Sauce: A Dynamite Website
With Laura Christianson
Writing compelling website copy is a substantially different skill than writing books or articles. During this mini-mastermind, you’ll craft vibrant, reader-focused website content.
- Develop your website’s all-important promise statement
- Discover the two critical questions visitors ask when they visit your website (and how to answer them)
- Plan your website’s navigation
- Learn how to avoid the most common mistake writers make when crafting their ABOUT page
- Discuss the anatomy of a compelling ABOUT page
- Get a super-simple template to help you plan your ABOUT page content
- Practice writing copy that makes Google (and your ideal reader) love your site
Whether you write non-fiction or fiction… are pre-published or best-selling… are creating your first website or revamping your existing site, this mini-mastermind will help you develop website content that powerfully delivers your life-transforming message.
Laura Christianson is a marketing communications specialist who ghost writes compelling online content for her clients – blog posts, websites, sales pages, email campaigns, product descriptions, bios, and social media. She partners with a graphic designer and programmer to create custom, mobile-friendly websites for writers and other entrepreneurs.
Making Your Fiction Come to Life
With Sarah Sundin
As novelists, we want our readers to feel like they’re living in our stories. In this mini-mastermind, we’ll explore techniques that engage readers and immerse them so deeply they’ll lose track of time.
We’ll learn how to:
- Use story structure and pacing to keep readers hooked
- Avoid plot pitfalls and research gaffes
- Craft realistic characters with a compelling journey
- Keep characters true to who they are
- Use point-of-view to draw the reader in
- Ground the reader in your setting—in place and time
- Use sensory details
- Use your setting to reveal character and theme
- How to weave in details so you don’t overwhelm the reader
Your story is real to you—you can learn to bring it to life for your readers.
Sarah Sundin is a bestselling and award-winning author of ten novels, including The Sea Before Us. Her novels When Tides Turn and Through Waters Deep were named to Booklist’s “101 Best Romance Novels of the Last 10 Years.” A mother of three, Sarah lives in California, works on-call as a hospital pharmacist, and teaches Sunday school.
With Kathi Lipp
SOLD OUT! To join the wait list for “Rooted Marketing,” email firstname.lastname@example.org
Does marketing your book feel like the necessary evil that comes after writing what you love? What if developing your marketing plan could be as rewarding and fulfilling as writing your book? In this freeing mini-mastermind, Kathi shares with you the concept of Rooted Marketing, a guide to create your marketing and your book at the same time.
You will learn:
- Why marketing is your most creative endeavor
- How to love on your readers through the act of marketing
- Why you will develop fans for life by marketing with love
Kathi Lipp is a national speaker and the best-selling author of 17 books, including Overwhelmed, Clutter Free, The Get Yourself Organized Project, and The Husband Project. Kathi co-hosts (with Michele Cushatt) the Communicator Academy podcast and is the founder of the Leverage Speakers Conference, held each November in San Jose, California. Through teaching and coaching over the past 10 years, Kathi has helped hundreds of writers and speakers find their audience and increase their platform.
With Susy Flory
SOLD OUT! To join the wait list for “Everything Memoir,” email email@example.com
Do you have a true story to share? “Everything Memoir” is a mini mastermind that shows you how to write your own unique life story so you can leave a legacy, learn from your experiences, and share your hard-earned wisdom.
- Why you should write a memoir
- What kind of memoir fits your story best
- The difference between writing your own vs. someone else s
- What holds people back from actually writing and finishing their story
- Getting started: why, who, places, people, and plan, plus research and interview basics
- Creating the shape and structure (includes a complete book template to help you structure your book)
- How to write about faith, miracles, and God
- Polish and publish: What fits your story best?
Finally—the help you need for the story only you can tell, with personalized feedback no matter what stage your memoir project is in.
Susy Flory is a New York Times bestselling author or co-author of 12 memoirs, and she’s written with celebrities, heroes of the faith, athletes, explorers, and the girl (and boy) next door.
You Can Do It! Indie & Self-Publishing, A to Z
With Robynne Miller
SOLD OUT! To join the wait list for “Indie & Self-Publishing, A to Z,” email firstname.lastname@example.org
There are many publishing choices available, but which one is for you? This mini-mastermind will lead you through the options and dive deep into self/indie publishing. Through a combination of instruction, discussion, brainstorming, and writing exercises, you’ll leave this class with a firm understanding of where your project fits best and a plan of action for the next practical steps.
- Definitions of each kind of publishing, and their pros and cons
- How to make the right publishing choice for your project
- Top self-publishing platforms and how to get started
- Cost-effective tools for preparing your manuscript for print
- Tips for launching and marketing
- How to treat your writing as a business
Whether you’re ready to launch or still writing, you’ll emerge from this class equipped to make the publishing decision that’s right for you.
Robynne Miller holds a Masters of Fine Arts (MFA) degree in Creative Nonfiction and Fiction. She’s authored eight books and numerous articles and essays, and speaks nationally on topics ranging from writing to making bacon from scratch.