WHERE WRITERS THRIVE
October 18 – 20, 2023
2023 CREW GROUPS
Would you like a full day with a faculty member in a small group setting diving deep into one topic? If so, please join a CREW (Connection, Refinement, Equipping & Wisdom).
Constructing the Nonfiction Book
This workshop will help you hone the structure and purpose of your nonfiction book, whether you are just getting started or already have a draft. It will emphasize the importance of the first chapter, which should contain key elements that provide direction for the entire book. The workshop combines teaching, handouts, brainstorming and critique.
Deep Internal Work for Publishing Success
Great writing flows from the inside out. In this hands-on CREW, you’ll
- Uncover your purpose for writing
- Develop a publishing story arc
- Lament your publishing losses
- Learn how to pitch, self-edit, become productive, organize a book, and find the best way to promote your work
Plan and Write the Book your Readers Need
Sharon Norris Elliott
Bring a couple packs of various colored sticky notes, a new Sharpie, and your book idea to this CREW. Leave with a manageable plan for a sparkling proposal, the completion of your book, possibly a catchy title, and a great opening line to present to your prospective publisher.
Paths to Publication
Keri Wyatt Kent
In this practical CREW, attendees will
- Learn the difference between royalty publishing, self-publishing and vanity publishing
- Assess their own platform and which path it points them toward
- How to avoid being taken advantage of by vanity publishers
- Learn what they are paying for if they do assisted self-publishing
- What to expect as far as book sales in each path
- What other revenue writing a book can lead to (such as speaking, consulting, writing articles)
Attendee will also learn some basics of self-publishing, including:
- Reasons for self-publishing
- All the steps from manuscript to published book
- How to create the highest quality book possible
Nurturing Your Writer Soul
This CREW emphasizes how to nurture your spiritual journey as a writer and create personal awareness and intentionality around the feeding of your soul. We’ll talk about developing spiritual rhythms to support us through the ups and downs of writing, publishing, and marketing. We will also discuss how nurturing our soul spills over to the care of our reader’s soul.
Excellence in Writing: Four Painful Steps
We’ll examine four principles to improve your writing. Teachings on clarity, power, imagery, and audience orientation will combine with practical exercises that will enable beginning to intermediate authors to develop their craft of writing for greater impact on editors and readers.
Craft Your Marketing Roadmap
Navigating your roadmap for marketing starts with understanding where you want to go, where you are starting from, understanding your audience, and how your unique personality affects your strategy. In this hands-on CREW, we will build the unique map best suited for each participant.
October 18 – 20, 2023
Writers on the Move
“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9