2022 Goldie Awards & Writing Contest
The Goldie Awards are presented at the Saturday afternoon session during the West Coast Christian Writers (WCCW) Online Conference, February 17-19, 2021.
The Goldie Awards include two main categories: the Goldie Awards are special recognition awards, and the Writing Contest recognizes excellence in writing and is open to all conference registrants.
These awards are chosen by a committee headed up by Jeanette Hanscome.
- Author of the Year: An outstanding author in the WCCW community, distinguished by excellence and innovation; this author must be published within the last 2 years.
- God’s Word is Alive Award: An author who has published an excellent Bible study, devotional, or book that brings the Bible to life in a unique way.
- Unsung Hero: Given to an individual who selflessly serves the Christian writing community.
- Mentor of theYear: Given to an industry professional, such as editor, agent, or career author, who is a gifted and dedicated mentor to up and coming writers.(2020: Wendy Lawton. 2019: Lauraine Snelling)
- Promising New Writer: This is a “wild card” award for standout writing, with faculty recommendations drawn from the Coaching & Critique appointments during the conference.
These awards are given upon recommendation by a distinguished panel of 6 faculty judges, directed by Contest Administrator David Hyde, who consider the entries from our free writing contest. Finalists will be announced the week before the conference. (Please see guidelines for how to enter.)
2021 WCCW Writing Contest
WCCW is thrilled to announce The Goldie Awards & Writing Contest for 2022. This annual contest is for original, unpublished submissions by attendees of the upcoming West Coast Christian Writers Conference, Feb 17-19, 2022. Here’s your chance to let your literary light shine!
Whether writing fiction, nonfiction, poetry or children’s lit, we all need that extra boost of validation from time to time. Here is your chance to have your work read and evaluated by a panel of judges, made up of professionals in writing and publishing. Entries can be pages from a completed (but unpublished) work, a work in progress, or something uniquely new just for WCCW. Just choose your category and send us your best!
Please choose one of the categories for your entry (one entry per person, except for the bad writing contest—anyone can enter!). Remember this is unpublished work. (NOTE: Please avoid explicit descriptions or language. Thank you!)
- Nonfiction (except memoir)
- Children’s & YA (Young Adult)
- BAD WRITING: The Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Writing Contest (250 words)
(Yes, we want you to write a very short, bad story on purpose, but in a clever way. You can include story inconsistencies, tired clichés, appalling dialogue, plot issues, and the like. All registrants can enter this contest—even if you entered one of the above categories.)
- Poetry or Bad Writing (up to 250 words)
- All other categories (up to 1250 words or 5 pages double-spaced)
- Please include your name, title, and word count at the top of your submission.
- Submit as a Word doc (or something equivalent). No PDFs.
- Times New Roman, double-spaced, 12 pt font, with 1 inch margins
- Clearly mark which category you are entering: Nonfiction, Fiction, Memoir, Poetry, Children’s/YA or Bad Writing.
All winners will receive a special, original contest certificate, along with recognition on the WCCW website, social media, and a WCCW press release.
Winners in each category will receive:
- 1st place — Goldie Awards trophy & other goodies
- 2nd place – Personalized Goldie Awards Certificate
SPECIAL “Golden Goldie” AWARDS
- The Call Me Ishmael award: Best opening line
- Best in Conference: Best writing of all of the category winners: Certificate & FREE registration to West Coast Christian Writers Conference 2023, plus a free pitch session/consultation with a faculty member.
- Send entries to: email@example.com
- Deadline to enter: January 31st, 2022
- Put “WCCW Writing Contest” in the subject line of your e-mail
- Each submission will be evaluated by a panel of judges
- To enter, you must be registered for the WCCW Conference.
- Questions? Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Finalists announced on the WCCW website on February 10th
Final results will be posted on the Conference website and in the newsletter immediately after the conference.
Let your voice be heard. We can’t wait to read your work!
2022 Online Conference
February 17-19, 2022
“The people who walk in darkness will see a great light. For those who live in a land of deep darkness, a light will shine.”
Isaiah 9: 2 NLT